Thursday, December 9, 2010

A People Factory

I am a firm believer in the Montessori and Steiner philosophy of child-motivated learning and play. Finn has a great interest in pipes, electricity, machines and factories which leads a lot of his questions and learning. The pages below are some of Finn's favourite pages from books which we used as inspiration for making our paper mache factory. 


The Lorax- Dr Suess


Michael Bird Boy- Tomie-de Paola

Materials: Tissue boxes, cardboard tubes, masking tape, wallpaper paste, paint, decorations (pom-poms, buttons, paddle-pop sticks). 

We made this factory out of cut up cardboard rolls and a tissue box, using masking tape to keep the pipes in place, then covering with ripped up newspaper and wallpaper paste. 


Once the paper mache dried, we used a white undercoat, then top coat. 

Finn then decorated his heart out (buttons, pom-poms, paddle-pop sticks and glitter glue). 


We used cotton wool to represent the factory smoke. 






2 comments:

  1. I'm loving your blog Jess, keep it up!
    I'm off to Elliott's childcare tomorrow to create some christmas stars!.. and you are my inspiration!
    I've spent the evening cutting up cardboard, lace, doilies and ribbon together with feathers and other tidbits...hmmm some sequence would be good!
    I'm also bringing in toilets rolls to be painted and then cut into rings to make a chain.... should be interesting!
    XXLiv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog too! I used to read your old one and have only just rediscovered you here. I love Finn's factory - he's a wonderfully creative and technical thinker!

    ReplyDelete